If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of your University experience (perhaps the teaching quality, supervision, decisions made regarding your education, or the conduct of UWA staff or students) you have the right to lodge a complaint.

If you are considering lodging a complaint, we recommend the following steps:

  1. Contact Student Assist for impartial advice on your situation.
  2. If possible, raise the issue informally with the person directly concerned (a Student Assist Officer can help you with this).
  3. If you’re uncomfortable with speaking to the person directly, or the situation is not resolved, approach the Head of School or the person’s immediate supervisor to discuss the issue (a Student Assist Officer can attend meetings with you and advocate on your behalf).
  4. To lodge a formal complaint you need to submit a letter/statement (a Student Assist Officer can help you draft this). This should include:
    • Name, student number, and contact details;
    • A detailed description of the complaint;
    • A description of the steps already taken to try to resolve the complaint;
    • An indication of the desired outcome;
  5. You can lodge your complaint here.
Tips for lodging complaints
  • Identify clearly what the issue is. Discussing this with a Student Assist Officer can often help you clarify this and determine if you have grounds for a complaint.
  • Follow up any discussion that you have about the issue with an email. This provides you with a written history if needed.
  • It can take some time before there is a resolution. Refer to the Student Complaint Resolution policy for time frames.
  • Be aware that the University has an obligation to both students and staff to investigate complaints. This means the respondent will be given the opportunity to present their side of the story.

For advice on and assistance with lodging a complaint, book an appointment with the Student Assist team.