July 12, 2022

Fresher Handbook: Wellbeing

We all need a little help sometimes, but it can be hard to know where to turn to. That's where we come in! The Guild provides all our members with the assistance they need with any welfare, academic or financial difficulties they may be facing, through a few different services. 

If you need support with just about anything from orientation to graduation, you can check out the new Support Hub on our website! It has resources and information on the services at UWA that can help you.

Student Assist

The Guild Student Assist team is made up of 4 social workers and a wellbeing counsellor, who can help you through the tough times. Whether you need an on-the-spot emergency loan, someone to chat to, or advocacy through an academic appeal, the lovely Student Assist team have your back.

Counselling & welfare support

There’s a lot of reasons for needing a little extra support while at uni, and Student Assist has it covered. Our wellbeing counsellor is available for free counselling appointments year-round as someone independent to talk to about what’s worrying you, from all aspects of your life.

Our counsellor can equip you with tools and techniques for stress management and maintaining a positive headspace.

Student Assist also operates the Food Pantry, a welfare initiative for students in need. The Food Pantry supplies free, no-questions-asked non-perishables and essential items for those struggling to make ends meet.

Meditation Centre

There's also a new Meditation Centre on campus, upstairs in the Ref! The Meditation Centre is open 12-1PM weekdays, and guided meditations Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1.15-1.45PM. Drop in and take some time for yourself 💙

Check out the Student Assist website for a full rundown of the support available to students.

Financial Support

Guild members get exclusive access to financial support from the Guild in the form of grants and interest-free loans.

  • Emergency Loans: lost your wallet? Unexpected bills? Short on cash until payday? Emergency Loans allow you to borrow up to $200 on the spot, up to 6 times a year. Repayment deadlines depend on how much you borrow
  • Ordinary Loans: must be related (directly or indirectly) to your studies. You can borrow up to $1000, and you’ve got 12 months to pay it back. In applying for an Ordinary Loan, you’ll need to show you can pay it back on time.
  • Grants: for students experiencing severe financial difficulty, the Guild offers grants of up to $400, to be used either directly or indirectly towards your studies. You can find eligibility criteria on the Student Assist website.

Academic Support 

Whether it’s appealing an academic misconduct, applying for special consideration, requesting a review of your marks or submitting a complaint, Student Assist Officers can help you along the way, and advocate on your behalf to the University. Visit the website for more information on how to approach any academic issues you might be having.

To read more about their services, download forms and documents, or contact Student Assist for an appointment, head to uwastudentguild.com/student-assist

The Living Room

The Living Room is a wellbeing space on campus in Shenton House. It’s open 11am-4pm weekdays for drop-ins and is the place to go for peace and quiet, short-term support, and information on mental health and wellbeing. If you’re waiting on an appointment with counselling or support services, The Living Room can help in the interim (but note that while TLR can help you explore options, it’s not a counselling service).

UWA Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

As a UWA student, you have access to three (3) free and confidential counselling appointments per calendar year with a counsellor of your choice. You can book counselling appointments online here.

No GP referral is needed for UWA counselling. If further intervention is required, you will be referred to a GP, psychologist or other relevant external service.

For more long-term intervention, psychological services are available with a referral from a GP. If you have a Mental Health Care Plan, then you can get 10 free sessions with a psychologist (otherwise a fee applies).

Need help out of hours? You can call the UWA After Hours Wellbeing Line on 1300 515 199, available after hours, on weekends and during shutdown periods.

Check out the rest of our Fresher Handbook!

Getting Started


Food on Campus

Get Involved

Study at UWA