April 17, 2020

Financial Support for UWA Students

Lots of students have been impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic and we want to make sure everyone is aware of the support out there during this difficult time. Your Student Guild, along with the University, are currently providing the following supports to UWA students.

UWA Financial Hardship Grant

UWA are currently offering grants of between $500 - $5000 to eligible students onshore (domestic and international) facing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have been impacted by the pandemic and require immediate support you can apply for a grant by completing the application form online here

UWA Student Guild Financial Hardship Loan

The Guild have recently introduced a Financial Hardship Loan. This is a loan of up to $1,000 for students who have lost their employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are needing financial assistance with living expenses. Check out the Guild Student Assist website for more information and to find the application form.

If your financial circumstances have not been altered due to the pandemic, we still offer our regular Guild grants, now up to $500 for students in financial hardship and Guild Ordinary loans for students who are able to repay a loan. Both of these once off financial supports are to help with the costs of something related (either directly or indirectly) to your studies. Please check out the Guild Student Assist website for more details.

UWA Welfare Packages 

The welfare packages are a joint initiative between UWA and the Guild. They include a variety of pantry and personal hygiene products. If you’re in need of support, please email [email protected].


Navigating Centrelink can sometimes be a tricky process but keep persisting and reach out for help if you need. Keep up to date with the changes and information about Centrelink payments here.

For information about the different payments you can receive through Centrelink and a comprehensive guide, have a look here.  

Are you new to receiving Centrelink?

1.      To start receiving a payment, you will need to go to your My Gov account or create one here.

2.      Within your My Gov account you will see a COVID-19 notice – “intention to access coronavirus support”. Follow the link and register your intention to claim.

3.      If you already have a Centrelink CRN (Customer Reference Number) you can automatically link your My Gov account to Centrelink. If you don’t know your CRN or you don’t have one, you will need to contact Centrelink on 13 24 90 to find out what it is or to create one.

4.      Once you have your CRN and you have linked your My Gov account to Centrelink you can click on ‘Make a Claim’ and apply for the appropriate payment; Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy, Job Seeker. 

5.      Follow the prompts while making your claim and upload any of the required documents.

6.      Centrelink will update you as your claim progresses.

If you are already in receipt of an eligible payment (including Youth Allowance and Jobseeker Allowance), you should be eligible for an additional $550 a fortnight COVID-19 supplement. You do not have to do anything else to receive this, it will be paid automatically. More details can be found here. 


Moneysmart is a really handy government website which has set up a specific page to help those affected by COVID-19 with information that is updated regularly. It has really helpful tips and tricks for everything money related.

Other Helpful Information

If you are having difficulty affording to pay your rent, we recommend you speak to your Landlord (or property manager depending how your tenancy has been arranged) and advise them of your hardship and try to negotiate a lower rent during this difficult time. Please see here for more information and details as to your rights.

If you are an international student who has paid superannuation since working in Australia, you may be able to draw from this at this time if you need to. You can find out more about this here. You can also contact your Superannuation fund for more details. Domestic students are also able to access their superannuation during this time, but we recommend you thoroughly research all of your options before doing this.

Keep in mind, all lenders and utilities have financial support teams and options on offer to help out in times like this. The best approach to take when it comes to your finances is to reach out as soon as possible. Don’t be afraid to contact your lender/utility to discuss your financial situation and available options.

Remember that your Student Guild and the University are here to support you.

Guild Student Assist - https://www.uwastudentguild.com/get-support

UWA Welfare - https://www.uwa.edu.au/students/need-help/care-and-support