You may nominate yourself for any position, indeed, nominating for multiple positions is allowed. But once elected to a position, you are automatically excluded from election to any others.
If more than one person nominates for the same position (eg: President), both candidates will have the opportunity to speak to the members of the Association present at the AGM for up to 5 minutes. Nominees unable to attend will have the option to provide a written statement to be read by a delegate. A private ballot will then be conducted to determine the elected representative.
There will only be a call for nominations on the day of the AGM if no one has nominated for a position.
Any positions left vacant after the AGM will remain vacant until an interested postgrad approaches the PSA Committee.
The PSA Election Regulations stipulate that there is to be NO campaigning, oral or written, by or on behalf of any nominee. Candidates may promote the general act of voting in the election or attending the AGM and may direct voters to the PSA Website, but must not refer to their own candidacy.
NOMINATION: WHAT TO DO TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE PSA COMMITTEE
Being a member of the PSA Committee is a great opportunity to develop event management, time management, interpersonal and other generic skills.
To nominate yourself for election to one or more positions, you need to download the nomination form here, and complete one for each position for which you wish to be considered. You may include a statement of up to 150 words on why you wish to be considered for that position, along with a current portrait photo, and/or a A4 sized poster for your candidacy to be posted on the website.
Positions available –
- Vice-President Coursework,
- Vice-President Research,
- Vice-President Events,
- General Secretary, (subject to approval at the SGM)
- Equity Officer,
- International Students’ Officer,
- Media Officer,
- Off Campus Officer,
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students’ Officer,
- A Higher Degree by Coursework Representative for each Faculty of the University,
- A Higher Degree by Research Representative for each Faculty of the University, and
- No more than four Ordinary Committee Members.
You must also get two other members of the Association to second your nomination (any UWA postgraduate student) – this simply means that they support your nomination and believe you are suitably qualified, experienced, networked and/or motivated for the position for which you are nominating.
For a complete list and position descriptions, head to the Your Committee and the PSA Constitution pages of the PSA website. In addition to the positions listed, two Ordinary Officer positions are also open. Elected committee members will hold their positions until the 1st of December.
Email the completed form to the Returning Officer Leigh Chalmers at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline to nominate for a position. Please use the subject line “PSA Election Nomination” when sending through your nomination form.
2018 ELECTION TIMETABLE:
Monday 1 October: Nominations for positions open
Friday 12 October (5pm): Nominations for positions close
Monday 15 October (10am): Details of nominees available on the website. If there is only one nominee for a position, that person is elected. If there are no nominations for a position, nominations from attendees at the AGM will be called for. Online absentee voting opens for contested positions: all members of the Association will be emailed a personal access code to vote in the PSA Elections.
Friday 19 October (5pm): Online absentee voting closes. See PSA Election Rules for more info on online absentee voting.
Tuesday 23 October (time TBC): AGM commences. Nominations for unfilled positions will be taken from the floor. Elected representatives will be announced on PSA social media after the count has been completed.
- PSA members are ineligible for a Committee position if they hold a paid position within the PSA or UWA Student Guild.
- The Returning Officer reserves the right to alter the requirements of absentee voting. Any affected votes will be notified of any changes as soon as possible if this is required.
- Members of the PSA Committee should be members of the UWA Student Guild. Membership status can be changed via StudentConnect.
- As the positions of Treasurer and Secretary may be combined to General Secretary subject to the approval of amendments to the PSA Rules, nominations for those positions are to be considered nominations for General Secretary also should the rules be approved.