If you think your study has been severely affected by serious illness or other factors outside your control, you can apply for special consideration. Examples of circumstances that may make you eligible and the kinds of arrangements that your Faculty may grant can be found here.
You can apply any time prior to the due date/date of exam, but have only three days after in which to lodge your application.
It’s a simple process – you just need to fill out the form below and submit it to your Faculty Office with supporting evidence.
Download Special Consideration Form
Tips for applying for Special Consideration
- Lodge your application as soon as you think there may be a problem. After the exam or due date you only have three days to apply.
- Check the University Policy on Special Consideration, and ask your Faculty about their specific requirements.
- If you are seeking the help of someone recognised by the policy (e.g. doctor, counsellor, residential college principal, religious leader etc.) ask them to complete the relevant section on the application form. If you do not have a copy at the time, ask for a letter or certificate to support your application.
- If there is a delay before you can see someone who can provide supporting evidence, contact your Faculty to explain the situation. They may be able to refer you to someone else who can help, or you could lodge your application with a note that evidence will be submitted later.
- Where you are already regularly seeing someone about your situation (e.g. doctor, counsellor etc.) get their help with the application rather than University or Guild staff who may not be able to substantiate your application after a single visit.
Appealing the outcome of your Application
If you are unhappy with the outcome of your application for special consideration then you can lodge a formal request for a Review of an Academic Decision (by submitting the RAD stage 1 form available here). This can be done online.
If you’d like help or more information on special consideration, contact Student Assist at firstname.lastname@example.org or via their online form.