

#### Volunteering committee

Meeting open 11:01

Voting Members:, Jamie Dehouck, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Thomas Cotter

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: NA

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

**Apologies:** Floretta Suliso

Absent:

Invitee: Josef Czeschka Rojas

**Acknowledgement of Country:** The UWA Student Guild and Guild Volunteering recognise the Whadjuk Noongar people as the rightful and original owners of the land we are meeting on. The UWA Student Guild would like to acknowledge Indigenous leaders past present and emerging and extend this to all First Nations people.

Round robin.

Jamie ; Welcome to the committee

Chloe: PAC pres,

Thomas; Sports Rep,

Jenny; Hr

Clare; Volunteering officer

Antonia; Volunteering manager

Jamie; Volunteering Chair

Josef; events coordinator

Marcus; Deputy Chair

#### 1. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

-Independent introduction and summary of this years goals.



-Explanation of how meeting minutes will be circulated.

Jamie to send meetings to Chloe Keller.

#### 2. COMMITTEE BUSINESS

<ol> <li>Update of running projects for semeste</li> </ol>	1.	Update of	running	projects	for semester	1
--	----	-----------	---------	----------	--------------	---

- Theme week **c**ollaborations for Semester 1 -Jamie Dehouck
- Sea Shepard Screening on March 19 at the Tavern in Collaboration with Environment department.
- \$5 dollar entrance for screening
- Sea shepard basket raffle
- Onshore volunteering event signup for the following week for after the screening.

Come up with other potential ways to fundraise?

Chole; Smaller companies sponsor on top with the raffle

Clare: potential drinks to sell

- Potential GV X Access collaboration on Access week.
- Potential University tour in collaboration with Spectrum Space

Jamie: how we can procure a safe environment especially for this demographic

Jenny: Access could help

Antonia; Special needs, traditional volunteering projects, 'friends of mosman park' or expand to other niche events

Clare; marketing especial not to exclude as well as remain inclusive to the

Antonia; Volunteering with linking students to community



Clare; spectrum space, to help students in UniAccess with a more comfortable environment

Jamie; expand the thing towards access dep. But see how they can fit into the transcript space

- Could collaborate with Uni Access to get those currently signed up with the program help lead the tour?
- How to promote and approach this opportunity respectfully and sensitively on campus?
- How can we come up with a variety of different collaboration ideas that not only focuses on supporting people living with disabilities, but makes volunteering opportunities accessible to them as well?
- Faith Week- GV X Ethno
- GV will be running a "Lovin from the Oven" excursion at The Ronald McDonald House. Invitations will be sent to all UWA Faith Clubs so send representatives to participate in this activity. The activity is suppose to represent unification of different religions and background in response to furthering a cause unrelated to them.
- Confirm Date?
- Harmony Week
- Analakshmi (soup kitchen) excursion set on the Thursday morning for Harmony week.
- Jamie; extension to invitation base
- Should we mimic the Faith week excursion and send invitation to culture clubs on campus?
- Josef; play by ear to see how they can fit their schedule
- Chloe; social impacts clubs have their own schedules but still keep inform as soon as you can
- Josef; ethno have to keep tabs on this, but we can assist



•	Welfare Volunteer on E.M.PS
•	How can we put selecting Welfare Volunteers under first aide trained event officers?
•	Jamie; Daniel and Sharran are the coordinators of well-being
•	How we can intergrate abit more of the welfare department involvement
•	Antonia; we are creating a structure with it especially with Leigh.
•	Should we? How can we do this in an orderly fashion? How to present it with Leigh?
•	Working with leigh and Sharran
1.	Offshore Volunteering- Marcus

- Information on the project and potential for collaboration with departments?
- What are some problem facing the program and how we can engage students overseas.
- Online front door; change to a virtual volunteering.
- Karen(uni engagement)about online portal to allow our
- Group based, Volunteering opportunities, South-East Asia. Top tips to look for volunteering opportunities sin your countries
- Local Based direction, not sure to direct to which organisations, but to find a fine process to allow transition to allow students to be connected to the university especially before other forms on Australian connection

#### 5. **ALL OTHER BUSINESS- Antonia x Clare**



#### 1. Design and thinking workshop

#### 2. O week Volunteering

Events and engagement team looking for one-off volunteering opportunities

Micro-Vol Events, safe sex packs, o-day bags

There is still availability for the opportunites

Josef; Events coordinator 75 NFP, salvation etc.

#### 3. Transcript Recognition policy updates

Looking at clarity

Constitutes what is considered as volunteering

Expanding student leadership roles; UWA transcript TBC when Uni IT updates Calista programme

Hours based system; we need to clear up the grey areas

#### 4. Feedback survey

TBC, as its been up for 2 weeks current as of today. The trends are not studied yet, Kyle will be looking at it.

#### 5. Social media strategy updates- Clare

Social media, 2021 new strategy.

Online engagement especially for new students, post-grad and mature-age(MASA)

Aim a bit more especially for MASA

Linkedin updates, key partners such as Tiny tots, Perth homeless support group

Facebook, GV and other programme engagement online

Inter-mixing, sports dep, dynamic, advocate events.

Waking events; physical and mental health (Headspace)



UWA sports events

'sexy brokini'

#### 6. **NEXT MEETING**

Potential meeting time: March 11

Will use schedule tool to confirm best time for everyone

#### 7. ACTION POINTS

- Collaborating sports department
- Updates on uniaccess meeting
- Updates on offshore

**Meeting Close 11:57** 



**Voting Members:** Emma Mezger, Jamie Dehouck, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Thomas Cotter, Floretta Suliso,

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: NA

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: Marcus Lim, Dixon Wamukoya, Emma Mezger, Chloe

Kam, Floretta **Proxies: NA** 

Invitee's: Kyle Santella, Dickson Wamukoya

**Acknowledgement of Country:** The UWA Student Guild and Guild Volunteering recognise the Whadjuk Noongar people as the rightful and original owners of the land we are meeting on. The UWA Student Guild would like to acknowledge Indigenous leaders past present and emerging and extend this to all First Nations people.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

No conflict and all in agreement.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

- Sports department weekly volunteers
  - Need a minimum of five people.
  - Set up and pack down
    - About an hour of volunteering

#### 4. Agenda Items

#### 1.1. GV Program Updates



#### 1.1.1. Dog Refugee Programs (Jamie)

#### 1.1.2. Inspiring Minds Mentoring & Inter-Gen program (Antonia)

- -Need social master work
- -Looking to get more mature students

#### 1.1.3. Micro & Event Volunteering (Clare)

- -Consistently working to get micro more meaningful sessions
- -Sunshine operations and Sewing for Charity

How to reach more people?

Getting student feedback for comms plan

-Talking to ambassadors about how to reach freshers

#### 1.2. Upcoming events

#### 1.2.1. Prosh Updates (Antonia)

- -Next Monday
- -Xander is currently wrapping up newsletter with the Prosh coordinator.
- -On Wednesday GV is setting up a Wellbeing stall

#### 1.2.2. Sea Shepard

-Collaboration between GV and Enviro

#### 1.2.3. Vinnies sleep in

-To be discussed with Chloe

#### 1.3. Transcript Recognition policy updates

- -Feedback for the transcript recognition
- -Any points that need further clarification from a student perspective.
- \*Important meeting points!

## 1.4. Social Impact Sundowner-Social Impact Collective (Dickson) Looking for a clear definition of a social impact club

Moved to next meeting.

#### 1.5. Update with MASA

- -Mature age student connection
- -Having a Lovin from the Oven collaboration event.
- -Reaching out to a deeper connection



- -What kind of event 30-year-old would enjoy.
  - -Walking group-sports department
  - -Something to bring students
  - -Fixing our ways of communication
  - -More inclusive language
  - -Guild has looked into doing their own crache.
  - -Interviewing students parent collective.

#### 1.6. VWA grant for National Volunteer Week.

- -Think global/act local.
- -Dinner with Global speakers from non for profits. Express
- -Provide two people from social impact club that will be subsidized by people coming to buy tickets.
- -International theme is in respect to global students
- -Grant goes to region context

#### 1.7. Kyle Internship Report

**1.7.1.** Moved to next VC meeting.

#### 1.8. Retention

#### 1.8.1. How to deal with no shows?

- -Process for retention is hard on one of event
- -Change the language
- -Giving a ballpark to organisations
- -Brainstorm

#### 1.8.2. Demographic differences.

#### 1.9. Virtual Volunteering and International Volunteer Engagement

**1.9.1.** Marcus to present next meeting

#### **6.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS**

- Read and highlight areas of improvement from Transcript recognition document. Have suggestions or enquiries ready by next meeting.
- Come up with different ways to engage the mature age population.



12:28 Meeting End



Volunteering Committee
Date: 19 April 2021

April Meeting Minutes

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Present: Emma Mezger, Jamie Dehouck, Marcus Lim,

**Staff:** Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

Apologies: Chloe Kam, Thomas Cotter, Floretta Susilo,

**Proxies: NA** 

Invitee's: Kyle Santella [GV Head Student Ambassador]

Meeting starts 1305

JD acknowledges that the UWA Student Guild and Guild Volunteering recognise the Whadjuk Noongar people as the rightful and original owners of the land we are meeting on. The UWA Student Guild would like to acknowledge Indigenous leaders past present and emerging and extend this to all First Nations people.

#### 2. Confirmation of Previous Meeting Minutes

Minutes from 17<sup>th</sup> March- approved

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

### 3.1 Discussion on Volunteer Transcript Hour Recognition document. What needs to be clearer?

JD: Transcript recognition of volunteering activities with general volunteers

AT: Events transcript recognised hour recognition; general volunteers

- Clarification of the events-based volunteering [one-off/casual]
- Outreach such as Free breakfast is considered this as part of 'welfare initiatives'
- Current practice of volunteering recognition; Approval from GV staff, the wording needs to be on case-by-case basis to meet this requirement

EM: In UWA recognition, still getting it sorted and how we can integrate a system flow

- Recognition for all students expanding of the exec position of Clubs/Socs
- Adoption of projects under the GV portfolio [Breakfast initiative?]

AT: Changes need to follow on the Transcript recognition of hours with what we have but we need more consultation on this especially input from all sides

Guild volunteering engagement is within our outlook and with the timing of the semester week 8 low student engagement is expected



Volunteering Committee
Date: 19 April 2021
April Meeting Minutes

#### 4. Agenda Items

#### 4.1 GV engagement: (Jamie) Sea Sheppard & Cahoots

JD: Sea-shepherd [SS] will continue the relationship with GV as with the success of the movie night. Event went well with students and the volunteering team input of the event. Continue collab this year and potentially down the road.

Cahoot's event, Easter break initiative to help carers and their wards with a day of activities. Event went well, may need extra feedback with volunteers with working with children and planned activities with secondary activities.

#### 4.2 Communications Strategy Updates (Jamie & Clare)

CM: Ambassador strategy; Ambassador reshuffle with the utilisation of the 11 ambassadors throughout deployment throughout the semester.

GV outreach lunch slot programmes, E-zone deployment, free breakfast rather than casual students wondering into just the office. Our engagement has fallen off in the later part of semester due to the study schedule and that is expected.

Advertising more with MASA, ISD and Access to allow engagement with the wider student body is now a greater option

Internship and McCusker project with current students Programme coordinators and ambassadors as well as the VC team Increase social media outreach with our brand-new partner this sem

Newsletter overhaul, change into the one-page format. With the help of the marketing team to allow a more compact and wording to shorter titles, however full information needs to be clear as well with a 'change' to more engaging titles

JD: New demographic target with PSA and MASA

McCusker Internship; 100 hr internship with a current student taking the role
AT: More rounded approach, shelved for the winter programme and shift it to an
opening in Sem-2 as to allow for more meaningful project for the intern to
undertake with the current staff and team

#### 4.3 PROSH debrief (Antonia)



Volunteering Committee Date: 19 April 2021

April Meeting Minutes

AT: Prosh Debrief

- \$36K raised for the event
- Cheque ppt in week12 to the benefactors
- Student engagement is within the expected numbers
- Bringing the recruitment forward to allow a greater amount of time to organise
- Possibility to allow current Pres & New President Elect 2022 in Sep 2021 to appoint the Prosh Director earlier [further details on a later date]

EM: New prospects in process on how we can allow the Prosh director to be appointed earlier. We need to test this out in due time. For now, is based on the nov/dec timeline

- **4.4** National Volunteer Week (Antonia)
- JD: National Volunteering Week [Sem-1]

Week 12 is very tight dateline, due to the expected student engagement we will scale down the activities this round, and allow Marcus to chair our bigger event to SEM-2 National Student Volunteering Week in Week 3

Ideas for this coming NVW theme 'Think Global Act Local' Involvement from our Social impact Clubs involvement to the Week

AT: Act local on global issues through tangible activities such as environmental and welfare approaches .

EM: Checking on gender studies prof; int'l students on the awareness of such issues we can tackle through NVW

JD: Organising a social night with dinner function with speakers, cultural and global theme matched with NVW.

AT: VWA awards occurring with UWA TLG programme shortlisted as a candidate well as two graduated students to the be shortlisted as part of the Volunteering awards

#### 4.5 Thread Together new partnership (Clare)

CM: NFP, 'Thread together' different clothes supplier to be distributed, new clothes that would be otherwise dispose of. It helps to secure clothes for people and remain material sustainable



Date: 19 April 2021 April Meeting Minutes

Advertise Fashion revolution week to bring maybe FABSOC to bring awareness to more contemporary issues with the student body

#### 4.6 Ambassador updates (Jamie)

JD: Programme updates, 14 in-house programmes with coordinators and the Volunteering exec.

#### 4.7 Inter-gen & Inspiring Minds (Antonia)

AT: Inter-generation Programme through Chorus fortnightly sessions 10 students on the role as part of programme. Kevin is hoping to expand his reach on the student body

Inspiring minds 16 volunteers, IT mentor's week 8 Friday of shift to the week 9 Tuesday in terms of timeline. Virtual mentoring in Hybrid model for the mentor and students for balance online and physical engagement.

- o Think Global Act Local (guest speaker ideas), guest list
- o Ideas for pop up engagement around campus
- UWA comms
- WA Volunteer Awards TLG shortlisted as well as UWA alumni

#### 4.8 Micro collabs (Clare)

CM: Micro-Volunteering Collabs

- Operation sunshine
  - Initiative through virtual volunteering
  - Physical sessions are currently in the works
- WA aids council
  - o Continue engagement with them as well as through departments
- Sewing for Charity [ready-made packs]
  - Library bags,
  - o blankets
  - daily necessity
  - Fabric patterns
- 4.9 Discussion professional development for leadership team
- JD: Professional development
  - Interview skill
  - Giveback to our coordinators



Volunteering Committee
Date: 19 April 2021
April Meeting Minutes

Upskilling of our coordinators

Department of cultural sensitivity training Human development – EM & JO said we have available tabs on this

#### 5 ALL OTHER BUSINESS

#### JD; Other businesses

- Creation a women's programme for general mentoring and welfare Sister programme on ManUP
- Well-being volunteering structure- By current GV coordinators
- Lovin' from the oven; faith club sessions [week 8 initiative]

## 5.1 Floretta to give brief outline summary of new women's program underneath GV(Flo)

Not Available, shift to next meeting

#### 5.2 Faith Week Lovin from the Oven Overview and check confirmation (Chloe)

Not Available, shift to next meeting

#### 5.3 Kyle to Present Internships finding.

#### KS: Internship

- GV organisation
- Core connect students with community
- Students looking for roles and 2020 challenging year significant student engagement
- Fundamental growth and offerings
  - o Lack of data students demographic of their volunteering outlook
  - Learning journey; what ways we can capture our student population
  - Public engagement; involvement at the beginning and fundamental view of their volunteering experience
- Student prep: availability to understand the role and work with the efficacy of the role

AT: More data collection from kyle the intern to create a bigger strategic framework

- Australia Masters games; 1000 volunteers.
- Semester 2 event by external organiser



Volunteering Committee
Date: 19 April 2021
April Meeting Minutes

 Careers centre/ Unihub volunteering opportunities may appear but for now is on their website

#### 5.4 Deputy Projects- Small Projects and Continuation programmes

#### ML:

- Cards making
  - o Heading virtual again; last session was about 10 students participating
  - o 3 of which are based overseas and would like more sessions on this platform
- Intergenerational- story telling
  - Exploring this blended version of our Intergen Programme with technology based calls
  - Need more
- Sewing circle if to need to learn a life skill
  - o If home economic skill based on haberdashery
  - This can be a risk for sewing at home over a virtual call
  - o Possibility if we want to give learning experience to students

#### 5.5 Dickson to explain social impact collective.

Not Available, shift to next meeting

1354 meeting ended to next meeting in May



Date: 13 May 2021 May Meeting Minutes

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Present: Emma Mezger, Jamie Dehouck, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Thomas

Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

**Staff:** Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish **Apologies:** Jenny Ophel, Floretta Susilo

**Proxies: NA** 

Invitee's: Dickson Wamukoya-Garbutt

Meeting starts 1410

JD acknowledges that the UWA Student Guild and Guild Volunteering recognise the Whadjuk Noongar people as the rightful and original owners of the land we are meeting on. The UWA Student Guild would like to acknowledge Indigenous leaders past present and emerging and extend this to all First Nations people.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

19th April meeting minutes - approved.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 3.1 "By Her Side" Women's Program - Thoughts and discussion

JD: Based on attached document in invitation

CK: sounded good, how will it be run – under GV or Women's? Instructions

JD: GV's structure is each programme have a coordinator, such a similar structure will be used for this programme - a coordinator would support the project.

EM: what kind of training are we providing?

JD: Similar to Wellbeing Volunteers' structure

AT: retention with schools can be difficult, similar to the Inspiring Minds, volunteers need to maintain long-term commitment

#### 3.2 Dickson explains Social Impact Collective

DW: coming into my term in vision of social impact: this social impact collective's idea is to improve social impact clubs' engagement with PAC and GV

(For more information, please read the proposal attached.)

JD: is it a collab between PAC & GV?



Date: 13 May 2021 May Meeting Minutes

DW: I would like to a have a partnership with GV rather than just PAC sphere, so that we can tailor towards social impacts with the specialities of GV resources and get club come together

AT: Do you have a person to lead the collective?

JD: Jenny Chang set up the Women in Social Impact collective last year 2020 with a dedicated convenor, should be of a similar structure

DW: there was low engagement in the social impact field so this could be an approach

CK: Why are we having KPIs for this program?

DW: With a transitionary team, such as yearly replacement, it's difficult to maintain long-term projects, so maintaining a partnership with GV might help reduce the negative impacts of turnovers

EM: Need to go through Governance committee to establish a council under PAC, it's alright to create a collective

DW: Whether the 'collective space' could be included/created into a collective/council clubs' involvement between GV, PAC & SOC

AT: We can run focus groups inviting execs of social impact clubs and gather what are actually their needs and what resources we can provide as a collective

EM: Why are you calling this as KPI for progress managements?

DW: we can adjust the term but I prefer more business term

CK: Focus groups would be in August and would align with the other events JCR: To clarify, this collective is a collaboration between PAC, GV and social impact clubs; Would SOC be involved as well? Would it make sense to have the collective as a GV program?

DW: could be; it will be more of a PAC project

#### 4. Agenda Items

#### 4.1 Move from Jamie to Marcus as VC

JD: Marcus will take over my position and council responsibilities from June EM: Chair and Deputy would need to go through governance, I will get back to you at a later date

#### 4.2 Welcome OCMs

JD: welcome Josef and Meizhu to this committee

JCR: keen to help out as much as I can on this committee and I'm very happy to be here

#### 4.3 National Volunteer Week events (Antonia and Clare)



Date: 13 May 2021 May Meeting Minutes

#### 4.3.1 Think Global: Act Local Dinner

JD: invite all members of Volunteering Committee to come down to the dinner

AT: there will be CARAD catering and guest speakers, live music; it is invite-

only and invites will be sent out through this week's Guild Weekly

CK: can share in the SOC/PAC execs group

#### 4.3.2 events & excursions

CM: Micro-Volunteering runs their Weekly sessions, possible collaboration with the living room & Sewing WA; Chorus excursion rescheduled to Tuesday; Thursday PHSG; Friends of Mosman Park on Friday

JD: we can do a Happy Hand NVW video to say thank you to all volunteers as part of the volunteering week montage

#### 4.4 Winter volunteering program

JD: it is based on "24 Days of Giving" GV ran during last Christmas; essentially non-stop volunteering to cover 3 weeks

AT: "24 Days" was a very successful campaign, last time most excursions were booked out very fast; winter is good to run some volunteering in conservation and campaign of the environment field, as well as some engagements with social impact clubs to get them to handle EMP; it's a good opportunity to engage with international students onshore with community stuff

## 4.5 Discussion about Enviro volunteering – converting passion into volunteering

AT: environment is the highest engagement area as part of students selection, and we have many organisations that link with us; we can convert that passion for environmental issue and fill them to the excursions and initiatives, including our own environmental volunteering programs such as Greenbatch, SERAG, Friends of Mosman park. What are your best channels for this?

JD: working with the faculty of earth sciences and Indian ocean institute

CK: The uni has this new project of getting students, club reps and professors together and discuss how to meet the new UN SDG, push through grand challenges

AT: new connection between the youth and the current generation is good

CK: we can try to approach through the uni and hope

AT: arrange stakeholder meeting to help with this strategy (enviro, Sea Shepard, fossil-free UWA)

#### 4.6 GV Program update

#### 4.6.1 Ambassador signup quota



Date: 13 May 2021 May Meeting Minutes

JD: We need to assign a system for accountability and minimum time spent on the role

ML: We can have one similar to the current coordinators system, like coordinator prerequisites and requirements of minimum number of events AT: Firmly set the rules but not on paper just yet

#### 4.6.2 Eva leaving Guild Garden

JD: we are looking for a new coordinator, looking for to fill at least winter/sem2 programme

#### 4.6.3 Possible GV Intern from McCusker

JD: during the course of winter/sem 2 but that can be discussed

#### 4.6.4 Any updates from Antonia, Clare, Marcus?

ML: National Student Volunteer Week is coming up in Week 3 of Semester 2

#### 4.7 Indian Fundraiser

JD: Raised close to \$2000 at the fundraising event on 11th May 2021

EM: it's a good way to build connection with students and show volunteering to the cause

#### 4.8 other business

CK: Vinnies sleep-over will happen in Social Impact Week on week 4 semester 2, between the 16th-20th August; GV could be more involved that week?

AT: PROSH cheque giving at the Tav next Wednesday

MC: regarding reaching new volunteers, we can do so through encouraging FacSocs and clubs to run volunteering events, especially FacSocs as they are big

JD: meet with all FacSocs about volunteering?

EM: present at Ed council is easier because of possible "meeting fatigue"

JCR: is there a regular meeting date?

JD: meeting is based on availability each month

JCR: what will be GV's involvement with Guild ball?

EM: Student Service Committee will take charge, considering last year's inaction. Volunteering may get somewhat involved in terms of decoration and hour-keeping as consultant

#### 5.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS

Meeting ends at 1452

Action Items:



## Volunteering Committee Date: 13 May 2021 May Meeting Minutes

Jamie, Marcus & 2 OCMs – leading winter volunteering program Marcus – chairing NSVW committee



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

Voting Members: Emma Mezger, Jamie Dehouck, Chloe Kam, Floretta Susilo,

Marcus Lim, Thomas Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: Josef Czeschka Rojas, Chole Kam, Floretta Susilo

Proxies: NA Invitee's:

Meeting starts 2.05pm

ML acknowledges that this committee is meeting on the land of the Whadjuk Noongar people and we pay respect to their Elders past, present, and emerging.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

19th April and 13th May meeting minutes – confirmed and approved.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 3.1 "By Her Side" Women's Program (Flo)

ML: Since Flo sent apologies, we will move this to the next meeting.

### 3.2 Jamie transfer the Chair the Volunteering Committee to Marcus

ML:

#### 3.3 Acknowledge Jamie's hard work for the last 6 months as the Semster-1 chair of volunteering including the summer programme

ML: acknowledge Jamie's hard work as chair so far including her effort coordinating the summer program

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

## 4.1 Transcript recognition policy updates: please review the attached policies and advice on any changes. (Antonia)

AT: split into two documents to clarify better – individual students and clubs' volunteering activities (fundraiser, mentoring etc). Had anyone read it and have you got any questions?

EM: no issues



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

ML: Meizhu and I read through it, there were some typos but very minor

AT: this policy will be put up to the guild website & pdfs will be made downloadable; also going up to Unihub with some changes in the design; print & put physical copies in office

JO: I read it and it looks good, but it would also be good to get feedback from someone who is not internal to GV.

ML: can let Josef test it as he was a club exec; we can also give El a copy & ask her SOC committee read through

AT: we can do that after fixing typos, it's only the first draft

JO: we should ask people who will be using it to go through the policies, and see if they have any questions

AT: we can do FAQ pamphlets

EM: maybe circulate it to SOC committee (5-6 people)

ML: also can send to Chloe for PAC and social impact clubs, if it works for them we can send it to other clubs

AT: No update on transcript recognition for leadership roles however have met with UWA about Micro Badging program which could be a good way to recognise Guild leadership roles. A co-curricular working group will be set up by UWA and will look at all changes to transcript recognition.

EM: can ask Tim Martin what's happening.

#### 4.2 Winter Volidays [Clare]

CM: Winter Volidays launched and went wild, everything is booked out with large waiting list.

#### 4.2.1 Communications

CM: we haven't needed more communications other than when launching it,

- We can focus more on impact of the actual program as we reached 250 volunteering hours already, and capture everyone who volunteer with us
- We did one Instagram post at the start about hamper giveaway to grab more people into volunteering - went very well, got 40 extra followers on Instagram and 100 comments under the post
- following up on everyone who volunteered & send them survey to capture excursion experiences for us to fine-tune our work and get feedback; students can go into draw to win the hamper if they fill out survey as well



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

- if more communication is needed we can do another push in July when we have more events
- for the first time we put the calendar onto the Guild website and it got 1000+ hits within the first few days and made up 20% of the guild website traffic; very happy (3)

#### 4.3 Semester 2 Projects

#### 4.3.1 Building Bridges – new 1 year project with ASeTTS (Antonia)

AT: we are working with ASeTTs again – they are an organization offering services to asylum seekers & refugees and have a large youth program; 2 years ago GV worked with them and engaged 48 students on a program called The City I Belong To taking refugees to different places in Perth

- this new program incorporates 2 parts: 1 mentoring program organized by Students for Refugees, and GV will run 4 different leadership sessions to connect UWA students with youths from refugee background;
- it's a year-long program and will involve engagement on UWA campus - went to ALVA last time & did an art exhibition

#### 4.3.2 Relay for Life – Moving to Riley Oval. (Antonia)

AT: couldn't get James Oval because of cricket, but Riley Oval is available & Uni Club approved it, with some restriction on music but that shouldn't be an issue for this event.

#### 4.3.3 National Student Volunteer Week (Marcus)

ML: NSVW is on 3<sup>rd</sup> week of semester 2 (9-15th August), theme is volunteer: leadership, community, kindness, connection; can we decide what to do? I will focus on the community side as we just came back from lockdown and build a bigger volunteer community

JD: get committee of students to partner up with something & organize an occasion for them to reflect on what volunteering is about (example: wrap up & resell CF flowers); focus on volunteers themselves and work on what they are passionate about

AT: continue the student-led committee

ML: not sure if program coordinators will be very busy, Micro and Shenton Dog Refuge are happy to do more on top of current workload but a bit concern about whether students will commit to it

JD: if you advertise their programs you can hold them accountable



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

AT: we need committee to come up with the ideas, but staff can do the background work

ML: will set up committee, do we want social impact clubs to be involved? As Social Impact week is the week after, we can make it become a bit of a double week

AT: Volunteering Festival last year was good, Micro was popular, puppy cuddling & cupcakes were really good; we can have social impact clubs involved - having different sectors for students to visit would be a good idea

ML: it also helps them to be introduced about their work next week, and the two ties in

AT: VWA organized the Minister for Volunteering, Reece Whitby, who wants to come here and engage with student volunteers on Wednesday morning, we can do something like a breakfast with students volunteering leaders or micro; he wants a chat to students and find out what programs they are doing

EM: could do small tour of the guild but it's during semester

JO: we can get more ambassadors involved?

EM: would be a good opportunity for students to present about their programs

JD: we can have cakes & teas, and program coordinators present about their programs

AT: regarding venue, Hackett will be busy

JO: we can do it at Venture

CM: organize easy micro activities at the end

#### 4.3.4 PAC Sleepout update (Marcus)

ML: since Chloe couldn't come to this meeting below are her updates on the sleepout:

- Vinnies sleep out confirmed for social impact week
- PAC has been liaising with Vinnies about the date, tentative date is Wednesday night – Thursday
- call out for clubs & societies to be involved this means that the fundraiser tentatively would start by next week, giving us 6 weeks to run the charity drive; more involvement from the main student body from mid-July before semester starts

#### 4.4 Other business

AT: had a chat with UWA and they got 1800 offshore students and they want volunteering for offshore students, we've created a page on Unihub



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

and run micro sessions, but we got limitations; nature of volunteering is a face-to-face thing and some programs need WA Police Clearances, admin roles need experience; UWA wants it to also be a way to connect students with each other; during COVID the micro card-making activities were meaningful but now tricky about what to do with these sessions, ideas of what we can do?

CM: does the university wants the sessions to be volunteering or social? If it's for social purpose they should reach out to ISD

ML: ISD have their discord server but mainly for social within international students

AT: do we keep doing card-making to engage students?

JD: can get them to do a campaign for organization/group to get people share ideas and reach out; give students ideas about how to be involved with UWA

EM: can we do translating work?

MC: a few organizations are out there

AT: they are external and we have put some positions up on Unihub; we will run the intro session, and look into ideas for group volunteering

JD: get students help making digital campaign for smaller organizations, pair people up in breakout room and come up with campaign idea

AT: It's hard for students to do campaign when they are offshore and don't know much about the organization

TC: doing subtitles for lectures?

JD: mentorship?

AT: Curtin is doing conversational English activities – onshore students provide English practice to offshore students and get volunteering hours for the session, but it's not really helping offshore students to volunteer

JD: talk to elders?

AT: that may need police clearance for aged care. Can look into.

CM: making a video about themselves and send to elders

JD: last year Inter-gen sent videos to old folks' home due to COVID restrictions

AT: can partner with Chorus

ML: my family member who volunteer at aged care centre did karaoke over zoom, elders were quite active; used to go into aged care, but during covid: one person go in with laptop and plug in karaoke, help elders build confidence

AT: can create cards for Relayers and engage students to Relay for Life, and we will run the intro session.



Date: Tuesday 22 June 2021 June Meeting Minutes

ML: get ambassadors more involved to promote skill-based volunteering opportunities to offshore students

JD: did you present to Ed council?

ML: I presented to Ed about getting their roles recognised and reminded 5 of those who have an agreement to renew it; Josef and I presented at SOC and gave out flyers that explain stuff quite clearly

#### **5.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS**

ML - start committee for NSVW;

AT - go through second draft of transcript recognition document

ML - send transcript recognition document to SOC committee

Meeting closed at 2.46pm.



Date: Tuesday 27 July 2021 July Meeting Agenda

**Voting Members:** Emma Mezger (EM), Chloe Kam (CK), Floretta Susilo (FS), Marcus Lim (ML), Thomas Cotter (TC), Josef Czeschka Rojas (JCR), Meizhu Chen (MC).

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

Staff: Antonia Taylor (AT), Clare MacNish (CM), Jenny Ophel (JO)

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: CK, EM

Proxies: NA Invitee's: Absentee: FS

Meeting 11:01am

ML: acknowledgement

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

22<sup>nd</sup> June Meeting Minutes – confirmed and approved

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 3.1 "By Her Side" Women's Program—FS

ML: Shifted to next meeting as FS absent

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

#### 4.1 Winter Volidays review—CM

CM: quite amazing, we logged 759 hours volunteering in 5 weeks (originally 6 but lost one week to lockdown). Plan to do winter volidays again and have ambassadors and more GV people involved.

ML: Should we do a feedback form?

CM: We have a feedback form and this will be sent out to everyone that attended a WV session. There is a competition incentive.

ML: present award at NSVW to a Winter Voliday winner? CM: We can present to the student who did most hours

MC: What about the hamper?

CM: Hamper randomized, not related AT: echo CM about epic Winter Volidays.

JCR: echo AT

#### 4.2 Inter-university beach challenge—AT



Date: Tuesday 27 July 2021 July Meeting Agenda

AT: With Perth NRM. Lunch provided. 70 spots between unis. ECU will not be participating. Notre Dame not confirmed. 30+ people to be recruited. August 7<sup>th</sup> 9am-12pm. Which department to invite? Which channels to send out?

TC: Sports?

ML: Enviro, S4EA (Students for environmental action)? JCR: What are the numbers we will need to recruit?

AT: depends on how many universities taking part will affect numbers.

#### 4.3 National Students Volunteer Week—ML

ML: Committee currently going. 8 members, a fortnight away. Today is the final meetup. Finalising marketing.

AT: rundown of week?

ML: 9-14 August:

Monday's theme is Kindness. Events on this day include a Microplastics survey and R4L virtual volunteering event.

<u>Tuesday's theme is Agents of Change</u>. Events on this day include volunteer fair with Micro volunteering running activities. I have emailed SI (Social Impact) Clubs. As of now, two SI clubs have replied. Externals will be contacted by staff.

Wednesday's theme is Leadership: Events include brekky ministers visit, with invites to staff, coordinators, and volunteering clubs. The Location will be Venture. The event will be a showcase event. Separately, a flower sales fundraiser for R4L (Relay for life) will run. PHSG (Perth Homeless Support Group) excursion is also running. Jade plans to have a Dog refuge event. Jade wants to avoid drop-outs for her program and increase volunteer numbers.

<u>Thursday's theme is Connection:</u> Events include a drinks Stall activation at Brekky Club. Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre excursion will run as well as students volunteering panel discussion to be clarified by MC. <u>Friday's theme is Community:</u> St Bart's. Smaller events and excursion.

CM: Some changes to excursions on Friday

ML: aim to finalise by tomorrow

AT: Communications, student profiles?

CM: Amy and Savani are on student profiles.

AT: bring communications to the Guild (Xander). The national campaign wants student profiles. Ideally one or two student profiles and all the events to be shared with the national campaign for NSVW.

AT: Do Guild clubs know about it to coordinate?

ML: SI clubs contacted.

AT: Send NSVW communications pack, then they can share out/use.



Date: Tuesday 27 July 2021 July Meeting Agenda

#### 4.4 PAC Updates [Social Impact Week]—CK

ML: SI week after NSVW. No updates from VP. Have a planned collaboration with RSD.

Vinnies Good Night In on Friday of SI club week. To be advertised via GV? Event to be held on Tuesday for common lunch hour.

AT: Are they doing a fair?

ML: A fair for social impact clubs.

#### 4.5 PROSH director recruitment—AT

ML: Emma is not here.

AT: Will do it outside of meeting with Emma.

JO: Approved. Best to do this earlier, before elections.

#### 4.6 Other business

AT: Is sports related with Master's game?

TC: No.

#### **5.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS**

ML: Will update NSVW that would have already happened. Meetings may be shifted to Thursdays. Ask women's department to send a proxy.

Meeting ends: 11:23am



Date: Thursday 26 August 2021 August Meeting Minutes

Voting Members: Emma Mezger, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Floretta Susilo, Thomas

Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

**Apologies:** Josef Czeschka Rojas, Jenny Ophel **Proxies:** Priyanka Sharma for Floretta Susilo

Invitee's: Erin Miller (Relay For Life)

Meeting starts 1.03

ML acknowledges that this committee is meeting on the land of the Whadjuk Noongar people and we pay respect to their Elders past, present, and emerging.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

July Meeting Minutes from 27 July 2021 – confirmed and approved.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

#### 4.1 Relay for Life Updates (EM)

EM (R4L): Relay for Life is coming up in a month, 600 people registered but we are hoping for 800-900; moved to Riley Oval from Oak Lawn as event has outgrown previous location; we are in the process of contacting contractors and now trying to get more engagements

AT: anything we can help with?

ML: we can help you get volunteers to take care of women's safety

EM (R4L): Sharran confirmed about Wellbeing Volunteers, it would be good to get more female volunteers. Wellbeing Volunteers will be managing first aid needs

AT: we'll revisit the volunteering process, had too many volunteers at the wrong times last year

ML: I'll give the volunteer tracking system to Erin, same as last year

AT: have you promoted it through Guild socials?

EM (R4L): emailed Caitlin about our quiz night but has been cancelled, will email again when we do another flash sale for registrations

AT: give it a week's notice and Caitlin can include it in Guild Weekly



Date: Thursday 26 August 2021 August Meeting Minutes

EM: send me a message if you need

EM (R4L): we got a lot of clubs registered for teams but many of them haven't started fundraising, the fundraising target increased to \$124,000 (last year's target was \$70,000 with \$115,000 raised)

AT: is sports involved?

TC: we teamed up with Access, and got a FIFA truck from Football West to come down for free

ML: maybe put the truck in front of Uni Club to prevent sound

TC: last year we had trouble with fencing

EM (R4L): no fencing this year

AT: had volunteers too early for pack down last year, will make sure it's more organised this year

EM (R4L): can we borrow some sports equipment?

TC: sure

EM (R4L): we are also looking to get Zumba and yoga again, don't know if we have time to play movie out loud because of noise restriction; we got bands but a lot haven't got back to us about the time they can perform; also heard from Leigh that Guild ball is not donating to R4L

EM: not sure, this wasn't brought up in Student Services meeting

AT: can follow up with Student Services

#### 4.2 GV Comms updates (CM)

CM: engagement on Facebook has been going up from posting photos (especially from NSVW), Instagram is getting more followers, I wanted 3k by the end of this year but now only 1.5k so will be a stretch

ML: can we get 500 more likes on Facebook?

CM: our reach on Facebook is good, I got many pages sharing our content especially the UWA Students page

#### 4.3 GV Program updates (AT)

AT: we have 12 programs running all year

- Inter-gen: aged care centre didn't let us in for meeting today because we didn't have flu vaccine, we got Khushie as coordinator who is very passionate and will be here long term; we go to Chorus fortnightly, lot of other aged care centres are interested
- Building bridges: 18 students locked in who will be around for a year (not regularly but some full day activities), I met with ASeTTs last week — hopefully they'll engage 30 young ppl from refugee backgrounds, some of whom recently arrived in Australia, first session is on 18<sup>th</sup> September



Date: Thursday 26 August 2021 August Meeting Minutes

- Inspiring minds: it's going well, got a few Afghan families in the primary school so it's a challenging time for these families
- Wellbeans going great, getting more leadership structures so Dan and Sharran don't have to do all the work themselves

#### 4.4 Women's Department By her Side Peer to Peer Programme (PS)

PS: nothing to update, Flo and Jamie were working on it and I'm just getting involved now; we were really busy with Women's Week

AT: how's Women's Week going?

PS: quite well, we have different students engage with our events

ML: can ask my female volunteers to assist since this is a peer-to-peer program, can have it set up under volunteering if you want the program to be stable

CM: do you run Women's Department Facebook page?

PS: I have access but I'm not marketing person

CM: we advertised for Freedom Hub (a nfp ending modern slavery of women), I was wondering if you can share it? The coordinator is struggling to get people, they expect volunteers to commit for 6 months and many probably were turned away because of the high-level work, probably we should promote more to postgraduates

PS: I'll have a look, and I'll update about the project at next meeting

#### 4.5 NSVW Updates (ML)

ML:

- Everything went smoothly, except Tuesday's weather
- Monday virtual session had 28 students (19 are international), connected to R4L & Cancer Council
- Volunteering Fest on Tuesday had 12 stakeholders including our 6 programs, people still came despite the weather; raised \$160 for dogs, \$180 for flowers for Relay
- Minister's visit: VWA wants more projects with us, we are the only student volunteering organization that has consistent engagement (other than Curtin), I'll pass it onto committee next year
- Panel discussion went well, most participants were international students, will try to push more virtual volunteering for the rest of this year
- Any feedback?

AT: was an amazing week, you all did awesome



Date: Thursday 26 August 2021 August Meeting Minutes

ML: I did tell clubs to do some spill over activities for social impact week but it didn't get traction, clubs said they are lucky to have done something during NSVW

CK: I'm resigning, delegated roles to my OCMs and social impact club presidents; trying to get clubs featured on Guild's Instagram was Dickson's idea, but I've received complaints about people promoted; he wanted a hackathon promoting entrepreneurship in collaboration with ECOMS, but the conversation never started

EM: hard to hold people accountable especially for running events, in future to include steps of managing unreliable committee members

#### 4.6 Enviro week plans

ML: week 7 is Enviro week and the Enviro department wanted some activities from us, I'm looking for ideas of tangible enviro activities. We also have one new coordinator for Guild garden, will ask him to talk to Enviro

AT: Bicycles for Humanities would like a bike sale on campus, maybe collab with Enviro on that; they can also teach students how to fix their bikes

ML: will talk to my enviro portfolio

AT: we need to organise that by tomorrow; or just have Josef driving the minibus to Mosman Park

ML: need to pass things onto Ethan today

#### 5. OTHER BUSINESS

ML: Volunteer awards?

AT: awards are after exam in November, it's a bit early for now; we got better coverage of student volunteers in application last year. But we can start recruiting PROSH director

ML: I'll pre-empt El before the next SOCPAC meeting

CK: El is happy to cover for PAC and Tenancy, you can speak at SOCPAC

EM: to clarify, we are donating \$1 from each Guild ball ticket to R4L

AT: when does Guild ball ticket start sale?

EM: probably next week

AT: has capacity been increased?

EM: don't know

#### 6. NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS

Meeting close 1.33



Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

**Voting Members:** Emma Mezger, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Floretta Susilo, Thomas Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: Chloe Kam, Emma Mezger

Proxies: N/A

Absentee's: Floretta Susilo

Invitee's: N/A

Meeting starts 1: 01pm

Acknowledgement of Whadjuk Noongar people.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

September Meeting Minutes from 30th September 2021.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

#### 4.1 Update on GV programs (Clare)

CM: Recruitment happening. Handovers to be reported during next meeting.

AT: Cathy from SERAG sadly passed away over the weekend. SERAG has been a partner with GV for over 10 years. Our coordinators are organising a card and some flowers. We will have a new point of contact for February onwards.

Micro wrapped up. Search for feedback from this year from the coordinators and participants.

#### 4.2 Summer Programme (Clare)

CM: 24 Days of Giving (1-24<sup>th</sup> Dec) before Christmas. Campaign planned. Lots of excursions. Virtual volunteering planned. Cat haven excursion.

# UWA STUDENT GUILD The University of Western Australia M300, 35 Stirling Highway | Crawley, WA 6009 (08) 6488 2295 | hello@guild.wwa.edu.au facebook.com/UWAStudentGuild | @UWAStudentGuild

#### **Volunteering Committee**

Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

Bring in student ambassadors, and committee needed, as there is no intern working on this this year. To be released on a live calendar 15<sup>th</sup> November.

ML: Bryn asked whether he could start his program early. This is to help watering the garden. Challenges Guild gardens have dealt with include plants being trampled on and dealing with moths.

CM: We can run some Guild gardens for 24 days.

AT: Khushie is the intern, running Inter-Generation program. She will do research on other Inter-Generation programs to expand our programme here.

Making a framework and looking at how to get volunteers. Plenty of requirements makes this type of volunteering difficult. Question over this long-term commitment.

#### 4.3 GV reports (Antonia)

4.4 Volunteer Awards update (Antonia)

AT: 70 nominations. All students who applied will be invited.

ML: Thankyou event for the volunteers. The awards will be announced there. Make it a party.

CM: Isn't it nice for them to know that someone gave them a nomination?

AT: Great event each year. The Chair of VWA, as well as special guests will be in attendance.

JCR: mention at the end that all people who were nominated are invited.

AT: Jamie and Marcus to be the presenters.

MC: Offers to help set up.

AT: Mostly banners. Beryl, 104, passed away (on our marketing). Okay to still use, though will check with the family.

ML: Big event well all hands-on deck with this years leadership team

4.5 Recruitment Drive Student Leadership team (Antonia)

AT: 20 interviews this week. Everyone completed this week. Next week, will be announced. Issue of driving licenses. PHSG may be known at the end of the week.

AT: Prosh has been confirmed. Eleanor and April. Debrief with R4L. They like using Riley Oval. None of the committee has been keen to apply for chair. Recruitment starting in December. Not urgent, major role.



Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

#### 4.6 GV Retreat (Marcus)

ML: A 2-day no overnight retreat with the current and upcoming team

AT: deadline 31st October.

CM: Need to email new recruits.

AT: Yoga teacher booked. Hackathon: come up with your own social impact. Make a Difference grants through Grand Challenges. If someone who has a great idea, can attend the Grand Challenges Summit during O-Week to develop their idea further.

CM: day 1: Mulaloo beach clean-up. Collect marine debris and. Little Things for Tiny Tots. More activities to come, over lunch and so forth.

ML: Good for bonding. This year group quite cohesive.

CM: fun extra activities. Light-hearted activities

AT: Bingo?

ML: Scavenger hunt

ML: Go to a restaurant dinner with the team after our day of activities.

AT: Return home.

Hired an extra van. Clare will drive one, Antonia the other.

#### **5.0 OTHER BUSINESS**

AT: Volunteering Conference. Expecting 300 participants from VIOs (Volunteering Involved Non-profits). Antonia running a 90-minute seminar. A panel, on next generation change making. Jorge works at Assets and is involved. A Murdoch uni student will also be a panellist. Careers Employability will also send someone. Marcus Lim will be logistics manager. Need one more volunteer. Youth Volunteering is a hot topic, there will be three sessions on youth volunteering.

#### **6.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS**

ML: Next month last meeting. Annual booklet will be put together, as the annual report is too short.

Meeting ends 1:33pm.



Date: Thursday 30th September 2021 September Meeting Minutes

**Voting Members:** Emma Mezger, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Floretta Susilo, Thomas Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

**Staff:** Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: Priyanka Sharma (for Floretta Susilo), Clare MacNish

Proxies: Eleanor White for Chloe Kam

Invitee's:

Meeting starts 1.08pm

ML acknowledges that this committee is meeting on the land of the Whadjuk Noongar people and we pay respect to their Elders past, present, and emerging.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

August Meeting Minutes from 26<sup>th</sup> August 2021 – confirmed and approved.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 3.1 By her Side Programme - Priyanka

ML: Priyanka & Flo sadly will cancel this project because of timeline, did advise them to convert it to a volunteering project under the Women's department

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

#### 4.1 Micro badging and co-curricular working group (Antonia)

AT: EW and I are meeting about this afterwards; we recently attended the first volunteering transcript working group meeting and we requested clarity from UWA about their definition of volunteering, some roles require clarification - GV has our own definition but can't verify other university roles, this is not in GV's mandate.

EW: Working on Micro badging for Club leaders don't think they understand how much request we get from clubs about volunteering transcript recognition, need a streamlined way to administer.

AT: we want student leadership roles transcript recognised, but UWA can't get the changes to Callista made so we will use Micro badging.

## UWA STUDENT GUILD The University of Western Australia M500, 35 Stirling Highway | Crawley, WA 6009 (08) 6488 2295 | hello@guild.wwa.edu.au facebook.com/UWAStudentGuild | @UWAStudentGuild

#### **Volunteering Committee**

Date: Thursday 30th September 2021 September Meeting Minutes

AT: UWA want whoever that submit application for micro-badging be responsible for reviewing application, so we need a streamlined approach for EW to review 2000 applications; need to work on a plan to get this rolled out for 2021 leaders.

#### 4.2 Building Bridges report (Clare)

AT: Clare ran the first session last Saturday, did a campus tour and bunch of activities with youths from refugee background in partnership with ASeTTS; next one in December will be more excursion based (ASeTTS have a grant, all volunteers will get food and excursion costs covered). Everyone was happy with the first one; S4R will mentor them during summer holiday

### **4.3 Volunteer Awards – review and approve regulations (Antonia)** ML:

- 3 award categories: Student Volunteer of the Year, Student Volunteer Coordinator of the Year, UWA Volunteering Involving Club/Society of the Year
- Nominees must have been an enrolled UWA student; same person can be nominated for multiple awards but need separate application; nominator need to declare relationship with nominees & individuals can self-nom
- clubs need to be registered with the Guild in 2021 (this include new clubs)
- refer to attached regulation for more information

AT: award application will be launched by next Wednesday

ML: shift nomination close date later? Also need to shift panel date as I got assignment; winner announced on 18 November

AT: award category? Last year added innovation award for our program coordinator that adapted to COVID-19 challenges, but this year seems less relevant

EM: can keep it for those creating meaningful online volunteering opportunity

AT: we haven't done much in the space of online volunteering

MC: some clubs did start new online volunteering programs

EM: give special mention at the ceremony instead of having award?

AT: winner & 2 runner ups will be on stage; allow self-nominate? Have always done so in the past

EM: happy with it

ML: back in 2018 there was a 30h minimum requirement for nominees, but good it's removed to make it low barrier; many volunteers do things on their own

AT: lot of stuff wasn't on transcript

## UWA STUDENT GUILD The University of Western Australia M300, 35 Stirling Highway | Crawley, WA 6009 (08) 6488 2295 | hello@guild.wwa.edu.au facebook.com/UWAStudentGuild | @UWAStudentGuild

#### **Volunteering Committee**

Date: Thursday 30th September 2021 September Meeting Minutes

AT: same person getting multiple awards was an issue last year, should it be up to the panel to decide who get what award? All panellists just get applicants as a number after processed

EW: not a bad thing, it's just a risk that comes with nominating people for awards; maybe if one wins one award they won't be eligible for other awards? AT: we invited David Sadler to speak last year, should we still invite him this year?

EM: can invite both Vice-Chancellor and David, I'm happy to do a speech

#### 4.3 Relay for Life update (Antonia)

AT: Happening this Saturday! Got \$57,000 raised so far and 779 participants, which is more than last year; have some logistical challenges with running it on Riley Oval but should be fine

EM: access officer had concern around areas for wheelchair users

AT: Pavement can be used in a U shape for wheelchair participants

EM: do I need to do a speech?

AT: can ask Erin, probably on Sunday morning at closing ceremony

## 4.4 Handover of the Volunteering Chair, new recruitment cycle for student leaders and Final Projects (Marcus)

ML: start recruitment within next month; no election held, applicants required to submit a cover letter and resume, interested individuals can also reach out to me; I'm also closing off my projects for this year

MC: would you be happy to work with Josef on tutorial? Josef can explain

JCR: we thought we can put together a short video on how to use the hour logging system online, with QR code etc.

ML: I gave templates to 3 clubs who found it helpful, different clubs may have different expectations; we are keeping paper system

JCR: may still help internally for GV coordinators

ML: bonding at the end of the year, 25 and 26 November

AT: we worked with VWA on their youth volunteer project and their videographer put together a very cute video showcasing young volunteers, we will put it on our website; VWA received a grant from Department of Communities.

#### **5.0 OTHER BUSINESS**

#### 6.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS



**Volunteering Committee**Date: Thursday 30th September 2021 September Meeting Minutes

Meeting close 1.42pm



Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

**Voting Members:** Emma Mezger, Chloe Kam, Marcus Lim, Floretta Susilo, Thomas Cotter, Josef Czeschka Rojas, Meizhu Chen

Non-voting/Co-opted Members: N/A

Staff: Antonia Taylor, Clare MacNish, Jenny Ophel

#### 1. WELCOME AND OPENING

Apologies: Chloe Kam, Emma Mezger

Proxies: N/A

Absentee's: Floretta Susilo

Invitee's: N/A

Meeting starts 1: 01pm

Acknowledgement of Whadjuk Noongar people.

#### 2. CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

September Meeting Minutes from 30th September 2021.

#### 3. BUSINESS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

#### 4. AGENDA ITEMS

#### 4.1 Update on GV programs (Clare)

CM: Recruitment happening. Handovers to be reported during next meeting.

AT: Cathy from SERAG sadly passed away over the weekend. SERAG has been a partner with GV for over 10 years. Our coordinators are organising a card and some flowers. We will have a new point of contact for February onwards.

Micro wrapped up. Search for feedback from this year from the coordinators and participants.

#### 4.2 Summer Programme (Clare)

CM: 24 Days of Giving (1-24<sup>th</sup> Dec) before Christmas. Campaign planned. Lots of excursions. Virtual volunteering planned. Cat haven excursion.

# UWA STUDENT GUILD The University of Western Australia M300, 35 Stirling Highway | Crawley, WA 6009 (08) 6488 2295 | hello@guild.wwa.edu.au facebook.com/UWAStudentGuild | @UWAStudentGuild

#### **Volunteering Committee**

Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

Bring in student ambassadors, and committee needed, as there is no intern working on this this year. To be released on a live calendar 15<sup>th</sup> November.

ML: Bryn asked whether he could start his program early. This is to help watering the garden. Challenges Guild gardens have dealt with include plants being trampled on and dealing with moths.

CM: We can run some Guild gardens for 24 days.

AT: Khushie is the intern, running Inter-Generation program. She will do research on other Inter-Generation programs to expand our programme here.

Making a framework and looking at how to get volunteers. Plenty of requirements makes this type of volunteering difficult. Question over this long-term commitment.

#### 4.3 GV reports (Antonia)

4.4 Volunteer Awards update (Antonia)

AT: 70 nominations. All students who applied will be invited.

ML: Thankyou event for the volunteers. The awards will be announced there. Make it a party.

CM: Isn't it nice for them to know that someone gave them a nomination?

AT: Great event each year. The Chair of VWA, as well as special guests will be in attendance.

JCR: mention at the end that all people who were nominated are invited.

AT: Jamie and Marcus to be the presenters.

MC: Offers to help set up.

AT: Mostly banners. Beryl, 104, passed away (on our marketing). Okay to still use, though will check with the family.

ML: Big event well all hands-on deck with this years leadership team

4.5 Recruitment Drive Student Leadership team (Antonia)

AT: 20 interviews this week. Everyone completed this week. Next week, will be announced. Issue of driving licenses. PHSG may be known at the end of the week.

AT: Prosh has been confirmed. Eleanor and April. Debrief with R4L. They like using Riley Oval. None of the committee has been keen to apply for chair. Recruitment starting in December. Not urgent, major role.



Date: Thursday 28th October 2021 October Meeting Minutes

#### 4.6 GV Retreat (Marcus)

ML: A 2-day no overnight retreat with the current and upcoming team

AT: deadline 31st October.

CM: Need to email new recruits.

AT: Yoga teacher booked. Hackathon: come up with your own social impact. Make a Difference grants through Grand Challenges. If someone who has a great idea, can attend the Grand Challenges Summit during O-Week to develop their idea further.

CM: day 1: Mulaloo beach clean-up. Collect marine debris and. Little Things for Tiny Tots. More activities to come, over lunch and so forth.

ML: Good for bonding. This year group quite cohesive.

CM: fun extra activities. Light-hearted activities

AT: Bingo?

ML: Scavenger hunt

ML: Go to a restaurant dinner with the team after our day of activities.

AT: Return home.

Hired an extra van. Clare will drive one, Antonia the other.

#### **5.0 OTHER BUSINESS**

AT: Volunteering Conference. Expecting 300 participants from VIOs (Volunteering Involved Non-profits). Antonia running a 90-minute seminar. A panel, on next generation change making. Jorge works at Assets and is involved. A Murdoch uni student will also be a panellist. Careers Employability will also send someone. Marcus Lim will be logistics manager. Need one more volunteer. Youth Volunteering is a hot topic, there will be three sessions on youth volunteering.

#### **6.0 NEXT MEETING AND ACTION ITEMS**

ML: Next month last meeting. Annual booklet will be put together, as the annual report is too short.

Meeting ends 1:33pm.