



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 14th February 2019 @ 12pm
Location: Meeting Room 2

Attendees: Conrad Hogg, Jack Spagnuolo, Hayden Greenham, Barbara Buxmann, Adhish Kastha, Clarice Antero, Shahid Khan.

Apologies: Blair Cooper, Raaghav Raj

1 WELCOME AND OPENING

I would like to acknowledge that we are meeting in Noongar Land and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land and continue to practice their language, values, beliefs, and traditions

2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR PERCEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

Yes

3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

4 COMMITTEE BUSINESS

4.1 Engagement

Barbara outlined the engagement document for the cafes for semester 1. BB pointed out that there has been a focus on Sports Centre and their visitors with great success at Hackett Cafe. This will continue with promotional material activated at UWA Sports.

4.2 Hackett Café

BB pointed out the new items: Protein products are doing exceptionally well. Waffle DIY, Extension of breakfast to include Vegan and Veggie options. Hot Dogs, New pastries, Ice cream in iced coffee have been added to the menu. With the new supervisor the café will continue to focus on developing the menu.

There will be more rotation of specials to provide more variety, and interest at the café.

BB pointed out that the Dine in coffee mug donation worked initially but the drive has gone. We will change the charity to get more interest. All agree that this is good idea to vary the charity.

USB charging points also added to the café. All agree it's a good addition to the café.

4.3 Quobba Café

BB pointed out that she has changed the Ice cream supplier. Past supplier was not selling enough units of ice cream. Refrigeration unit is in line with the Library location with no branding.

Menu additions include new Arancini flavours, Poke bowls, extended sushi range, onigiri, handroll, vegan, burrito. Additionally, new sweets in the dessert fridge.

4.4 Other Cafes

BB update on Dentistry café. Still have OHAS issue with the position of the café. JS pointed out this is still getting sorted out with Campus management. JS pointed out that sales have been reduced by the new food court at the hospital.

Nedlands Café situation outlined. Conrad pointed out that a review is in progress through SRC.

Catalyst Café – BB pointed out that we will engage Library services more to ensure there is engagement and greater synergy. Addition of Newspapers and more dine in focus away from disposable cutlery.

Village café – BB is analyzing the operation and will report back changes in the next C&T meeting. Although she will add newspapers and adjust the look in the short term.

4.5Packaging – Straws, Coffee cups & Cutlery

BB is currently in review for all our disposable items. Guild wants to move to a more sustainable model. Guild will deplete current stock and move to a compostable packaging.

Meeting with supplier to discuss the straws and cutlery bio options. Coffee cups are currently recyclable but not compostable.

4.6Keep Cups

Expanding the sizes and ranges of Keep cups available on campus.

JS suggested a keep cup program which has been successful at Melbourne university. All agree it might be worth investigating through Enviro department.

4.7Café dedicated social media

BB indicated that communication to students is a problem in regard to getting café activity presented.

Hayden said that there is a social media shortfall. Currently it is ineffective. Guild weekly is not effective. HG has been engaging one of his staff members to work on Tavern social media. And Conrad says this is an improvement to the message from tavern through this process.

JS suggested that there needs to be some independent commercial marketing which oversees all activity on campus including all retail tenants.

4.8New Tavern Logo “Your Tav, The Tav”

HG has completed the execution of new logo into the Tavern. This was unbudgeted and reflects some of the additional administrative spend in Jan/Feb. The new logo provides a greater statement that the tavern is at UWA and will create a sense of a local tavern on campus. Providing students with ownership over the space. All agree that the signage is looking good.

4.9Tavern Stage and Lighting Arrival

HG informed that the new lighting and staging equipment is now in place in the Tavern. This will allow for more events in the tavern. Previous arrangement placed a heavy cost burden on student activity due to hiring costs. All agree that the spend is worthwhile and will be positive for the Tavern student activity.

4.10 Tavern Social Media

Hayden is currently using internal staff to run social media. Discussion again centred around a solution for social media to commercial offerings to students. All happy with Tavern Social media activity.

4.11 Coffee in the Tav

HG informed that the coffee machine is now operational, and staff received training from Vittoria. Focus will be on dine in coffee and providing non-alcoholic options for students that dont consume alcohol. JS hopes that it will be well received. The setup costs were unbudgeted, but the service should provide some returns.

4.12 Wine on Tap

Introduction of Wine on tap with 4 options by the glass or carafe. HG hopes this will help reduce waste and provide good value for patrons. Wine category is in growth at the Tavern and commercial team thinks this is the most sustainable way to serve wine.

4.13 First 6-week Major promotion

HG pointed out that we will be running a 6-week promotion fully funded by suppliers. The prize will be a \$4K travel voucher. This will allow us to built loyalty and regular patronage. Expect mid-year draw. All happy with promotion.

4.14 New happy hour

HG has made changes to the happy hour due to significant drop off in support. Essentially there will changes in the time and duration of the happy hours.

Conrad and Adhish questioned the hours that they will operate. Pointing out that 11am might be too early. Hayden will review the times and report back to C&T.

Conrad also asked if there could be a set price point across all the products. Hayden indicated that he would like to maintain the offer as it is because it might confuse students.

4.15 New lunch deals

Andrew and Hayden designed lunch deals which will commence this semester. Essentially a 9 inch and 12-inch pizza deal will be available. All happy with addition to offers.

4.16 Live music Fridays

Due to the investment in equipment at the tavern HG as reinstated a band programme every Friday in the Tavern. 2-3 bands every Friday. Trial for the first 6 weeks and see what support they receive.

4.17 Tav Wednesdays – DJ, All night jugs

Addition of Wednesday activity to counter the activity at Captain Stirling which has been actively undermining student activity at the Tav. All agree with this activity.

4.18 Database and Catering newsletter mail out

Discussion at next C&T meeting

4.19 Clubs Display in the Tav

The club material is currently getting collected and will begin to be added to the Tavern.

4.20 Oat Milk in Cafes

There was a request for Oat milk to be available in cafes. BB will investigate with suppliers and see what the cost and feasibility of adding it to range.

5 GENERAL BUSINESS

- New Chef – Blair Cooper commenced this week and will be added to this committee
- Refectory Tenants are working through fit outs but will be delayed by City of Perth requirements for a DA. New schedule will be issued by end of month
- Shahid requested we review the Halal offering on campus. Particularly relating to fresh food. Brahims offering is not worth it and not readily accepted by students. BB and JS will review and get back to the C&T committee on this issue

6 CLOSE AND NEXT MEETING



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 18th March 2019 @ 12.00pm
Location: PROSH Room

1 WELCOME AND OPENING

I would like to acknowledge that we are meeting in Noongar Land and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land and continue to practice their language, values, beliefs, and traditions

1.1 Attendance: Jack Spagnuolo, Barbara Buxmann, Adhish Kastha, Shahid Khan, Conrad Hogg

1.2 Apologies: Hayden Greenham, Clarice Antero, Raaghav Raj

1.3 Proxies

1.4 Observers

1.5 Absent

2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR PERCEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

Yes

4 COMMITTEE BUSINESS

4.1 Tavern General Update

JS: In Haydens absence provided an update. Sales good. Blockparty went well. Adhish & Conrad attended and agree it went well. New exec chef hired. Drew will possibly assist with ball menu as he created it. Coffee machine in tavern added, will promote more towards colder months. Marshal will do the shelving when he gets time. Pizzas going well. \$10 lunch deal working. Wine on tap going well. Regarding social media activity cant really comment. Live music Fridays still going. Sales on track, doing well compared to last year. Last year they didn't have a kitchen.

4.2 Event EFTPOS

JS: EFTPOS failed at Block Party, not in tav, the other one). New Ref tenants will get their own lines for EFTPOS

4.3 Beer/ Cocktail Towers

CH: Supports the idea. Recommends there is some control system. Keep an eye on RSA.

5. GENERAL BUSINESS

5.1 Café Updates

BB: On Hackett: New menu working very well. Protein products very popular. Waffles back on menu and selling well. All hot meals in Hackett now Halal. Big Brekkie very popular in Hackett, and I dropped the price of Vegan & Veggie Big Brekkie this week. Hot dog on special, can choose pork or beef sausage, first topping free.

SK: Can we advertise more that the meals are Halal?

BB: Currently we only do internal advertising with posters (in café and A-frame). But I can certainly look into other ways to get the message across. Syed last year helped me distribute flyers at prayer rooms. SK offer to do this again. BB will arrange flyers.

BB: On Catalyst: Purchased some equipment here to assist with expanding the menu. New pie warmer which already has increased pie sales, fryer so they can do fries and other products, and a flat top stove. Daily newspaper delivery. Promoting dine in.

BB: On Village: Small changes like daily newspapers, added poke bowl, big focus on coffee training, helping to break the lunch queue. Open daily the side doors and put out an A-frame which makes a difference.

BB: On Quobba: Cafe super busy, and we always do small things to keep it changing. Last month added the Streets ice cream freezer, and lollies selling very well.

BB: Apart from Dentistry (which has the competition with new hospital cafes) & Village, the other 4 cafes sales are strong. We meeting with our packaging supplier this afternoon to discuss coffee cups. Keep cups selling well. Still waiting on a supplier to let me know they have oat milk, I have not forgotten.

BB: Since our last C&T meeting I had a meeting with Chloe regarding café social media. The Marketing team has been posting more often which has been great. Also added the "Love Food" section on the Guild weekly.

CH: Would still like to explore the option of having a "food on campus" social media. Require a meeting & workshop

5.2 Coffee Carts

JS: They being shipped as we speak and should arrive in Freo this week sometime

5.3 Vegan Products

SK: Can we have more vegan products like in Hackett & Quobba in other cafes?

BB: We probably do, the advertising of those products aren't clear in Village & Catalyst at the moment, but we are working on redoing their labels and adding the traffic-light system (stickers) at those cafes too

5.3 Cutlery

BB & JS has a meeting with supplier this afternoon regarding options. Will review cutlery sets, and the possibility of charging.

5.4 Healthy Foods sticker

CH: Could we explore a sticker to highlight healthy foods in cafes. Students can make a healthy choice, and promote healthier options. We might need to define what is "healthy".

BB: Can certainly look into it.

SK: What about displaying micro nutrients

BB: That is a bit advanced for us at this stage, and will be a massive project. I suggest baby steps, lets start introducing the other stickers & healthy food stickers first.

5.5Coke Vending

JS: Contract for vending expire in May. 8 vending machines from other suppliers, mainly Asian. Coke would want exclusivity. Last year sales \$100 000, about 10% down from the previous year. Assume because of less carbonated drinks, but even water sales down. Asked Coke to reconsider their selection. Increased commission. UWA hasn't allowed us to put vending machines in other (the right) areas. At next C&T meeting JS will present Coke recommendation.

AK: Which vending is ours

JS: All, excl Uni Sport

6 CLOSE AND NEXT MEETING

TBC



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 24th April 2019 @ 10.00am
Location: Meeting Room 1

1 WELCOME AND OPENING

I would like to acknowledge that we are meeting in Noongar Land and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land and continue to practice their language, values, beliefs, and traditions

1.1 Attendance: Jack Spagnuolo, Barbara Buxmann, Adhish Kastha, Shahid Khan, Conrad Hogg, Hayden Greenham, Clarice Antero.

Introduction of new Executive Chef, Daniel Lopes to the C&T committee

1.2 Apologies: Raaghav Raj

1.3 Proxies

1.4 Observers

1.5 Absent

2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR PERCEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

None

3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

Yes

4 COMMITTEE BUSINESS

4.1 Tavern Updates – (HG)

4.1.1 \$10 Tavern deal

The \$10 lunch deal is doing very well and driving foot traffic to the Tavern. Students are happy with the offer and there will be a variation on the offer during semester. All agree it is a good initiative.

4.1.2 Coffee Offering

With the installation of the coffee machine at the start of March. Concerted effort will be placed to promote the coffee offering into the cooler months. HG believes it will add to the offer in the tavern for students and staff.

4.1.3 Beer Towers

These are doing well in the Tavern with the current pricing of \$20. All the towers are currently funded through rebate by Lion Brewing but should still be value at full price. HG has had a few issues with some stolen towers but generally they are returned with a card surety at the bar. Some students are forgetting their cards behind the bar but all in all its working well.

Minor issue with RSA with students purchasing a beer tower individually. This is getting monitored by staff.

4.1.4 Friday Bands in the tavern

The tavern initiated this program on Friday with limited success. It really became a band event rather than a student event.

The exception was in the 6th week when the Love foundation was part of the event and has 200 people in the venue. HG believes that the only way to make these events a success is to have them led by Clubs and Societies. All these activities need to be initiated by students and supported by students. Block party was a good example of the type of activity that works.

4.1.5 Travel Voucher Promo

Win \$4,000 travel voucher promo was relatively unsuccessful. It did increase craft beer slightly but not enough to warrant the size of the prize. HG pointed out that although consumption was 64% up in beer during the promotion. There was limited participation with few people coming to the evening of the draw.

HG believes it will be better to do smaller instant redemption promotions to provide a prize at point of purchase. Everyone agrees that it may be a better use of the promotional fund.

4.1.6 Happy Hour times

AK asked if the happy hour times are generating additional patrons at the start of the day. HG confirmed that they are working well and getting people in earlier for food which is good for the Tavern. HG will continue to monitor the Happy hours to see if they are effective.

4.1.7 Mimu App

HG suggested we explore the viability of Mimu ordering system which allows patrons to preorder and pay for Food & Beverage. HG believes it would work well for food orders because they would go directly to the kitchen. Transactions go directly into our designated account. Currently have no interaction with TASK

Mimu app people are expanding their services and are interested in our demographic and are offering the service at \$200 per month rather than the usual \$500 per month. Customer pays a 30cent transaction fee.

JS suggested that Finance and IT need to be involved from the beginning. System is not viable unless it can connect with our current accounting/POS systems.

HG will organise a meeting with Mimu and potentially look at a trial if it can be implemented through finance.

4.1.8 Hot drinks for winter

HG is rolling out the hot drinks for winter. Starting on the 1st May. CH will promote through Guild weekly if details are forwarded to him.

4.1.9 Off licence sales

HG indicated that there is an off licence in place in the Tavern that allows alcohol to be purchased and taken away. This has not been promoted to reduce the risk under the license (RSA).

All agree that we should continue to sell products take away without actively promoting the practice to individuals. Clubs and societies will continue to use the service as required.

4.2 Re-use containers

Clarisse (CA) suggested we need to look at promoting a discount of 10% to students that bring their own container to our outlets to reduce the amount of waste generated on campus and move to a waste free takeaway service.

JS indicated that the discount currently in place for students is already substantial and we could not afford additional 10%. The cost saving on packaging is not substantial and would be in the order of 10-20 cents per meal and could be passed on.

The main difficulty would be relating to the service of food under the Health act. Bring your own containers would need to be cleaned prior to service of food. This would be not be possible across our cafes in an operational sense.

CA and JS will look at getting more details on University of Melbourne programme to determine if its something that could be implemented.

4.3 Café Updates (BB)

4.3.1 Hackett Café

Barbara (BB) is very happy with Hackett performance with the following currently driving increased patronage.

- Rotating Specials
- Easter bunny milkshake – 168 sold in three days
- Coffee protein Shake – WC 29th May
- Extension of breakfast menu to 7.30am – 1pm daily
- Gluten Free items

- Raw protein balls
- Baked Spuds

4.3.2 Catalyst Café

BB has made changes in 2019 to the café and there are really good signs in regard to the service. BB and JS will continue to work with Library services to bring the outlet operation closer to Reid library operation.

Addition of several products including protein balls.

Figures indicate that students are increasingly going to Catalyst rather than Guild Village café.

4.3.3 Village Café

BB is working to bring the customer services up and improve the consistency of the coffee on offer through training. The café will now be open earlier (7AM) due to demand and close earlier due to lack of demand.

Additionally, the following additions/improvements in place

- Breaky roll – selling 50 per day
- Hot meals improvements and availability increased
- Coffee focus
- Increase in variety of items
- Product label changes for clearer communication of both product and price

4.3.4 Quobba Gnarning Café

BB happy with all that is going on at Quobba. Ahead of budget and LY.

Addition of Raw protein squares and balls.

4.3.5 Other items

- Feedback through QR code to ensure we capture more student feedback. BB will discuss with Kelvin to implement in cafes. All agree it's a good idea to complement the feedback boxes.
- Chocolate wheel promotion. Prizes with purchase. BB to work in implementing through suppliers.
- Oat milk request – still looking for a viable supplier of the product. Will report back when one is found.
- Glass keep cup. Review of the current cup. Some issues with the lid closure. Samples to come from Keep cup and M&M supplier.
- Welfare week – specials planned, and introduction of free fruit based on budget allocation as per LY.
- New food labelling stickers in cafes to provide clarity of healthy meals for students. Should be driven by students. Follow up required to have student healthy meal programme. CH will work to clarify.
- New supplier (#untrashy) for reusable stainless straws and cutlery cases which will make it easier to order and sell. Pricing slightly higher than current straw set. CH wants us to supply both.

5. GENERAL BUSINESS

5.1 Coffee Carts

JS: They are being equipped as we speak and should arrive on campus in the first week of May.

6 CLOSE AND NEXT MEETING

TBC



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 18th June 2019 @ 11.00am
Location: Meeting Room 2

1 WELCOME AND OPENING

I would like to acknowledge that we are meeting in Noongar Land and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land and continue to practice their language, values, beliefs, and traditions

1.1 Attendance: Jack Spagnuolo (JS), Barbara Buxmann (BB), Adhish Kastha (AK), Shahid Khan (SK), Conrad Hogg (CH), Clarice Antero (CA), Hayden Greenham (HG), Daniel Lopes (DL)

1.2 Apologies: Raaghav Raj

1.3 Proxies

1.4 Observers

1.5 Absent

2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR PERCEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

Yes

4 COMMITTEE BUSINESS

4.1 Tavern General Update

DL: New menu start next week.

HG: Tav open Thursday and Friday every week during winter vacation and a good time to practice the new menu before semester 2

CH: Why was there items removed?

DL: Removed pizza items that don't sell. Also high wastage and expensive items that don't sell, for example goats curd. Vegan and vegetarian is now combined. Vegan cheese is expensive and is now an extra charge. More gluten free options. This is also easier for the kitchen. Reducing the pizza menu made space for Pub Grub items like parmi, fish and gnocchi.

JS: Compared to the market we are well priced

CH: Like the gluten free bun

DL: Will also have gluten free pizza bases. The idea is to make small menu changes every semester.

CH: Also excited about bao bun

HG: Parmi price used to be a concern but now fairly priced

DL: We have sold a fair few

CH: Have we changed the pizza size? Students comment about that.

DL: No.

HG: The only variable is the change in thickness of the pizza base depending on how busy it is and how much time we allow for it to rise.

DL: On busy days we do 4 pizza base batches

JS: We are looking at new equipment which will allow for bigger batches.

HG: The pizza bases are hand made.

4.2 BYO Container Scheme

CA: Together with Conrad worked on a proposal for bring-your-own container program. Successfully operating in other uni's. Last time Jack brought up food and safety standard concern, but according to food standards page there is nothing by law stopping us. Also looked into the Food Act.

Very popular at universities like Harvard. The students are asking for this.

HG: My point of view, I would feel uncomfortable putting my food into their own container. We could face food poisoning complaints. Not sure how we would keep track of borrowed containers. It will also be time consuming and labour intensive. Might cause arguments and be complicated. I wouldn't want to do it and get sued for a food poisoning complaint.

JS: I understand there is no legislation but it comes down to us how we serve the food. For the borrow option it would have to be a standard container, and not all cafes have washing facilities. The keep cup gets cleaned prior to making coffee, but food containers are different. In a café setup with a different menu, maybe, but we have moved away from that. It will need more work to think it through. The responsibility is on us, and we will be held liable.

HG: The HACCP creditation will probably not allow that

CH: Whats that?

DL: Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point

JS: I do want to move forward for us to use less plastic. Some things are just too costly and something may come from the RAW TEC meeting. I don't see many uni's in Australia doing it.

BB: Not sure if this is enough to cover us, but what if we put it on our menus. Bring-your-own container discount available, and also add its at own risk. Also when we put it through the till system, like with the keep cup, we will put the comment use own container.

JS: If we went to a program like this, how much do you think we will reduce waste? We already do dine in cutlery and plates. We wont be able to do this in all cafes. I don't see our massive gain. How would we enforce this in tenancies?

CH: We wont.

JS: There are operational risks and I will look at all of them. Remember we already working on very low margins.

HG: What about trialling it at one café and measure the outcome? Option 1. And then roll it out in other outlets.

JS: Regarding option 1. Clarice, do you have any contacts at the universities this is already in place?

CA: No. But in Melbourne they do option 2.

JS: Nobody is currently doing it in Australia. There is operational risk and may impact our bottom line.

CH: OK will you work on it with Barbara

JS: No I will work on it directly. The impact will be across all P&L's, how we ring it up, change of menus, service. Its not just about putting it in a container. Will affect portion sizes which took me 2 years to get that right. Mutya will have to get involved too.

CH: Option 1 will happen. We will get back to how it will happen.

4.3 Mimu App Update

HG: Slow uptake. Took time to get used to it. Had a promotion, MIMU paid for it. Not as much of an uptake as I hoped. Few teething problems. Slight variance in pricing which we need to sort out, otherwise pretty smooth. Havent been here due to back injury, but got good feedback from staff. Will push for staff to use MIMU order on Thursdays and Fridays during vacation. Had an enquiry from other universities, in Gold Coast. AJ who runs it, has been very good. The only other issue was WIFI. Back of house very easy. Feedback from people positive.

5. GENERAL BUSINESS

5.1 Café Updates

BB: At Hackett, we will promote venue hire. The clubs and departments use the café but I don't think the students knows they can hire it for any party or event.

Quobba has extended opening hours over the weekends now during winter vacation. The Library requested it. Last weekend was a bit quiet, but still worth opening.

Nedlands will be closed over vacation and reopen for semester 2.

Catalyst will have some menu changes, and move from 3 food portion sizes to 2 like Quobba & Hackett. Regular & upsize. Container will be bio.

Catalyst will also get a dine in napkin with the logo printed on to promote dine in.

Coffee carts trial during the vacation.

James from GSC helped with online feedback questionnaire, and I will work with Marketing to have the QR code in cafes so students can leave instant feedback.

Oat milk, sorry still no supplier can help me with this.

I have ordered a new keep cup order, and by semester 2 you will see the see-through keep cup, which is like glass but wont shatter, as well as more sizes available.

The new take away coffee cups has been ordered a few weeks ago, so hoping they will be here by semester 2. You will see the inside is brown, it is bamboo cups, and will be bio. The current Vittoria cups is also bio.

I am looking into water bottles to sell retail. Certain cafes like Quobba is right next to a water source, so for the students serious about good choices, can rather buy a container and refill rather than buy a disposable water bottle. I will make sure we have different colours as well as clear for exams.

Our supplier can do these fold up reusable straws, and we can brand the lid. I asked for a sample to see if its durable.

My aim is to have no more plastic straws by beginning of semester 2.

During the vacation I will prepare for IGA opening on campus. There is some duplicate products we sell, and I will have to look at their pricing or replace them.

6 CLOSE AND NEXT MEETING

TBC



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 9th August 2019 @ 2.00pm
Location: Meeting Room 1

1 WELCOME AND OPENING

I would like to acknowledge that we are meeting in Noongar Land and that the Noongar people remain the spiritual and cultural custodians of their land and continue to practice their language, values, beliefs, and traditions

1.1 Attendance: Adhish Kastha (AK), Caitlin McPhail (CM), Jack Spagnuolo (JS), Barbara Buxmann (BB), Conrad Hogg (CH), Clarice Antero (CA), Hayden Greenham (HG), Saskia Thomas (ST), Zlindt See (ZS).

1.2 Apologies: Raaghav Raj, Daniel Lopes (DL), Shahid Khan (SK),

1.3 Proxies

1.4 Observers

1.5 Absent: Talin Taparua (TT)

2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR PERCEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

Yes

4 COMMITTEE BUSINESS

4.1 Meal Deals/\$9 Lunches

(BB) suggested \$5 and \$9 meals with 2 options per café. There is general endorsement of the meal choices. (ST) believes that if we advertise the options students will be surprised at the choice available in our cafes.

(BB) will implement the meals on her return from leave W/C 19th August. All agree that this is best course of action.

4.2 Catering Update

(BB) provided a brief feedback on the outlet changes. Hackett café will have Mantou, Hot chocolate as a special.

Catalyst has a new breakfast and lunch menu. Changes from present 4 portion sizes to Regular and upsize will improve service. Additionally, a dessert menu has also been added in line with Hackett offering. Currently no ice cream on offer but will be added when Guild village closes.

(BB)Dentistry café will have specials to attract non-Guild members. This is to attract more customers at the hospital and compete with other outlets in the precinct.

(BB) says that the QR code feedback for cafes is now live. This will allow customers to easily provide feedback through their devices. This should allow us to get more feedback than conventional means.

(BB) said that Oat milk will be added to the café coffee offering in 2 weeks (WC 19th August). The supplier was very protective of where the product was sold. Initially it will be in Catalyst, Hackett, and Quobba G.

(BB) All plastic straws will be behind the counter for people who cannot use compostable options. Otherwise paper straws will be flowing through our outlets. All agree this is good.

4.3 Promotion of Budget Meals

(BB) pointed out as above that they will become available and promoted through our social media.

4.4 BYO Container Scheme

(CH) and (JS) outlined the container programme for the new attendees and the reason behind the direction we have taken.

(BB) has received 3 different options with various costs which need to be explored.

(CH) pointed out that the price point for the container is important to ensure there is uptake by students.

(BB) will look at getting samples of the 3 offered up by M&M suppliers. But will also look at getting more options through Irene on Monday.

Further discussion will occur during the week to make a final decision. (CA) agrees this is a good course of action.

4.5 MIMU App update

HG: Slow uptake with not many subscriptions. Will look at removing it if there is no improvement, before we start paying for service.

(HG) said that he was at Jack Rabbit Slims in the city and he saw some good customer promotions we should get. (HG) said that they haven't done much promotion apart from initial launch.

(CM) indicated that we could promote the MIMU application internally. (HG) wants MIMU to do more of the promotion and will contact them.

(ST) indicated that the information to activate an account is lean and this makes it hard to start for most students.

Hayden will discuss with MIMU and come back with further recommendations.

4.6 SOC Discounts in Tavern

(HG) outlined the request from SOC president Taco Shiraishi for Club executive members to receive discount at the tavern. Hayden suggests that margin is tight and there would be limited value in providing such discount. RSD was provided a free pint through supplier funds but they generate substantial volume related to this offering.

(JS) pointed out there is no budget allocated for a program and it would need to be approved by SRC.

(ST) pointed out that meetings are not getting held in the tavern. (AK) pointed out that if we provided such discount, we would give some students preferential treatment. A little bit elitist.

(CM) suggested we could run event-based discounting such as happy hours for club executive members. (HG) indicated that there are limitations to how long and how often you run discount alcohol promotions.

Best solution would be to look at the budget to see if there is a possibility to fund bar card or account for executives, but this is not ideal.

(HG) will communicate to Taco that it is not possible to fund discount through the tavern but will need to request it through Guild president and student executive for discussion.

5. GENERAL BUSINESS

(CA) asked if there was a possibility of having a burger deal. (HG) pointed out that we have burger deals in the tavern but is happy to review any requests directly

6. CLOSE AND NEXT MEETING

Next meeting date is yet to be decided. Please contact the Guild general secretary (secretary@guild.uwa.edu.au) with any apologies or proxies.



Agenda & Minutes

UWA Student Guild

Catering & Tavern Committee

Date: 18th October 2019
Location: Meeting Room 1

Attendees: Jack Spagnuolo, Barbara Buxmann, Adhish Kastha, Conrad Hogg, Caitlin MacPhail, Clarice Antero, Daniel Lopes, Ben Perry, ZLindt See, Hayden Greenham, Luke Thomas

Apologies:

- 1 WELCOME AND OPENING
- 2 DECLARATION OF POTENTIAL OR RECEIVED CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
- 3 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
- 4 AGENDA ITEMS

4.1 Tavern Furniture

JS: Damage to current tavern furniture, and wasn't quality to start with. Took new selection to SRC. This is the options we present.

AK: Like the first 2 on sheet.

HG: These are robust, as the current ones are not durable. Staying away from wooden frames. Only charcoal or oatmeal colours available on proposal. Need to find other colours. Second choice is Enterprise.

JS: Need to find a balance of "look good" and functional. Today is just to see if you like those styles.

HG: Will ask them if they have other colour options.

CH: Why do we not use CastleDex?

JS: Moderate in their pricing and furniture durable. Better than Starcraft from experience and more expensive.

HG: Architects recommend other furniture but could not deliver in time. But that was a rushed job in the end. We told CastleDex we want mid price range.

CH: Can we see a sample?

JS: Their showrooms are in Osbourne Park and we can possibly arrange something.

AK: Everyone happy with that:

YES.

CH: Where is the current ones going?

HG: 6-8 upstairs and the rest downstairs.

4.2 Barbara Review

BB: Hackett will continue with its fortnightly specials which are working very well. Also promoting more events and functions. Making Hackett the dedicated Halal café is working well and we will continue with that.

A lot of time has gone into Catalyst café to improve and the sales are increasing. Moved from 3 hot meal sizes to 2, and generally well accepted by customers. Desserts added. Menu boards added.

Drinks ranged changed to more current and healthy range. Improved the breakfast bar. Added an ice cream freezer, and now the most popular one on campus. Ordered a better, stronger coffee machine from Vittoria to deal with the increasing demand also now that Village closed.

Quobba always has new items introduced and ones not working removed.

Village closed, and staff moved to other location.

Nedlands café generally closed for study breaks, exams and vacations with exceptions to special requests from the university. Added a loyalty card.

Dentistry had minor changes and added a non-Guild special as the majority of the customers are non-Guild and we struggling with all the competition in the immediate area. Added the instant feedback via QR-code, convenient, but not many people using it. Oat milk added and demand rising. Currently have our medium and large take away cups bio. Just waiting to finish our current small size stock then we will move over. Cafes getting rid of their last plastic straws and then it will be no longer out on display. Will have some behind the counter if someone specifically asks. Under \$5 meal options very popular in Hackett and Quobba. The combo meals not so popular. All staff when through a food health & safety training this year, and its now a requirement for all new staff to complete. Ongoing coffee training. Will continue next year with the different size keep cups. Macchiato 6oz, small 8oz, medium 12oz and large 16 oz. Did a trial in the cafés with a free-pour sugar dispenser which eliminates the sachet papers, and its actually being used. Mainly with the Hackett clients.

4.3 Biodegradable Packaging at Vendors

CA: Committee brought up that they don't like the vendors styrofoam packaging.

JS: we wanted them open first, but we can talk to them about it. Places like Subway is a franchise and has to use their packaging.

I am sure if we talk to them they will look into other packaging they would fit in. Its now almost the same price. I don't think the change will affect the flavour of the food. Kampus Kebabs has copped some flack from the students since opening.

Will look into this.

4 GENERAL BUSINESS

5.1 Hayden Tav Update

HG: Had 3 major recent events. RSD Battle of the bands, 1100 people. Bands in Ref and DJ's in Tav. Good platform for future events.

LT: Feedback was very good. Haydens team knows that to do now. 120 was very good with everything.

HG: Everyone was very behaved at the Guild Ball. Oct Fest had better sales than last year. Caitlin has been great. 150 steins all sold out. Only 2 incidents. UWA Security had a few headaches. I have regular conversations with Andy Shay and we have a good relationship. If I do have an issue I can call them for backup.

LT: Is your next event the Beach thing?

HG: Yes. We have 2 weekly specials on top of the \$10 special. Testing items for next year. Monday sales slumped. Parmi not doing so well but cheese burgers doing well.

DL: Increase of 21% on first Monday, 30% increase last Monday. Driving drink sales. Margin on cheese burger we loosing a bit but it help with labour cost and drink sales. Parmi Thursdays may need a bit of a push.

LT: Do we have a plan to introduce a vegetarian special?

DL: We have new stuff coming. It's a surprise. Hayden and I are working together and I am getting the hang of the calendar.

HG: All the specials we do helps us to understand what people like and what we will put on the next menu. Tradees comes in due to all the works. Monitor that they stick to our code of conduct. They think our prices are cheap.

5.2 Jack

JS: We did get an offer for the final space in the REF. Just reviewing it. Reasonable offer on the table from Roll'd.

LT: Many Asian vendors in the ref. Should we put out a poll to see if there's a demand for others like Vietnamese or Mexican?

JS: When we did the research prior, the result was that 80% should be Asian.

CLOSE, NEXT MEETING TBC

