This past semester, the Guild held an Election Culture Working Group to improve the student experience around the time of Guild elections. The working group consisted of student representatives and ordinary students who analysed the current state of Guild elections and what the Guild do to improve election culture at UWA. After multiple meetings, the working group wrote a list of recommendations, which will be put into action at the next Guild elections:
- Cutting the number of flyers and paper waste;
- Introduction of an express walkway through the Reid booths and campaign area;
- Introduction of a formal complaints process to report misbehaving candidates;
- Clear withdrawal process for nominees; and
- No campaigning around voting booths between 12:30pm to 1:30pm.
If you would like to read more about the Election Culture Survey results, as well as the discussions of the working group, you could read more about here.
Chair of Guild Council, 2019
Posted on June 21, 2019